Saturday, September 27, 2008

Back in Austin, Emergency Room, New Haircut, and New Kitty Chloe

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 01, 2005 10:18 AM

This is our precious little kitty, Chloe. Also, not the temporary new haircut.
I love her so much. She keeps a smile on my face all the time.
Kevin also loves Chloe. So far, no allergies to her.

NEW ENTRY!!
Well, I'm back in Texas and busier than ever (until today). I had a ten hour flight home the day before Thanksgiving, due to a snow storm in Michigan. What a difference in the weather. I had layers on, gloves and a scarf, which I had to strip off once I reached Austin. Thanksgiving Day, Kevin and I watched the Lions embarrass us and we ordered carryout from Bennigans. Everything was great except the trip to the emergency room, because I developed a seroma from my surgery (this is just fluid build up, but there was a lot spilling out from my boob). It really wasn't that bad, other than we were at the hospital from 1am until 4am. The guy had to stick a huge needle in my boob and draw a ton of fluid out. I’m getting used to needles in my boobs now. However it did suck and I made Kevin watch to make sure the emergency room guy didn't screw anything up. I'm sure that was fun for Kevin. He HATES needles.

I've had a ton of tests and appointments since I have been back. So far all the tests look good. I start Chemo tomorrow and I'm pretty scared. I’m not exactly looking forward to it. I am going to try to keep myself fairly busy after (if I can) so I do not freak myself out, waiting for the side effects to start. The first treatment should be the best and they will get harder from there. I think once I am living with it, I won't be so scared. I think the fear is of the unknown. I will however have 8 treatments of Chemo. This was not an easy decision to make, but I need to do whatever I can to reduce my chances of reoccurrence, since I have such a high risk of it. I have doctor’s opinions (which all differ), and I have read more than you can imagine about this to make the correct decision. Sometimes the best thing to do isn’t always the easiest thing to do. Someone will have to remind me of that in two months.

I cut my hair really short. I can’t even pull it up in a pony tail anymore. I also let Kevin have a try at a haircut before this one. It was a team effort, but it didn’t last that long. It started out as a mullet, but I fixed it. It was funny having him cut my hair and not caring if he screwed up. Then again, I was at my hair stylist's place the next day telling him to fix it. One week after Chemo I will shave my head (unless my hair starts falling out sooner). Anyone, feel free to call me from now on. I won't be as busy. I apologize if I have been bad about returning phone calls.

On a happier note, I am very happy to be back in Austin. I've seen a few good friends so far. I hope they realize how much it means to me to have their company. I’ll get to see a whole bunch of my friends on Saturday at the poker tournament they are having to raise $ for my medical bills and I’m really looking forward to that.
Speaking of company....Kevin and I got a new kitten a few days ago as you saw. She has got to be the cutest kitten EVER. She is pretty tame, but she is getting wilder every day we have her. We decided to name her Chloe. She is a very light beige (almost blends in with our carpet). Most importantly, she is fairly gentle, which is important for me so I don't get scratched during Chemo. Not a single scratch yet. She loves people and prefers sleeping on a person rather than sleeping alone. She’s actually on my lap sleeping right now as I type. She is so sweet. I have someone to hang out with at home now.

I’ll write again after Chemo and let everyone know how I’m doing. As my Dad said, I’ll probably look at them and say “What? Is that it? Is that all you got???” Dad, I hope you’re right.
Take care
Bananagins (my mom's nickname for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment

darker pink dots