Saturday, September 27, 2008

I'm Blacking Out Left and Right (I need some red blood cells)

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 09, 2006 10:53 PM

This is a day when I had a lot more energy than I usually do.



This picture pretty much sums up how Chloe and I have been lately. I'm glad I have a cat who makes me feel like it is okay to sleep all day long.


Hey everyone. It's been a while since I wrote an update. I have started radiation. Everything is fine because I don't have any side effects yet. The sunburn should show up in a week or so. It's not that bad. I have to apply ointments 3 times a day, wear loose fitting t-shirts, no bra, and I cannot wear regular deodorant. Those are my main complaints. Hopefully my skin takes to it well. The chemo side effects are starting to wear off. They come back on days I don't get enough sleep. I'm still anemic to this day, but I'm getting used to it. I was way worse before. My hemoglobin count was 10.2 and my blood pressure dropped to 85 over 50 as a result. That's scary low. I was blacking out every time I stood up for a couple weeks or so. I'm drinking tons of water and sleeping a lot to regain my energy.

I've pretty much been laying low. Either I'm really lazy or all this has worn me out, because I'm tired all the time. I sleep in every day. It takes me forever to get ready for the day and before I know it I have my daily radiation appointment. My hair won't grow back and that is frustrating me. My nurse told me the chemo takes 6 weeks to get out of your system, then your hair follicles have to recover, and then your hair will start to grow back, but much slower than normal. So, everyone be prepared to see me bald a lot. I'll be going back to work bald, and I won't be wearing the wig because I am sick of it. I do have an enormous collection of bandanas though that I am excited about. I have a color to match every outfit. I’m going to try to make a couple of my own too.

All in all things are going well. I've had some more tests run recently and they are looking good so far. Still waiting on one result. Kevin is being wonderful as usual. He doesn't get sick of being supportive, getting me water, reminding me to take my medicine, etc... My family and friends have also been great. Sometimes I think I am dealing with this too easily. I worry that I should be more upset than I am. Then, I realize that it is really a blessing that I'm doing so good now. I think I am a tough girl physically and mentally and I always have been. I have the best people (and Chloe) surrounding me who also help me cope with this. I'm also getting better at taking this one step at a time. It's unreal how many IMPORTANT decisions you have to make for your treatment. I have a ton more to make. I'm not going to let the next decisions weigh on me as much as I let the chemo decision (hormone therapy or not). I’ve done tons of research and am confident that I will make the right decision for me again.

Well, that’s all for now. I’ll write again when something exciting happens. : )

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

darker pink dots