Saturday, September 27, 2008

Second Lumpectomy Went Well

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2005 08:50 AM

I look like I have been through hell, but I survived the surgery. The big spot on my armpit is where they removed the two lymph nodes. I am not a big fan of this picture.

Hey everyone! I'm okay!!!! Pretty out of it, but that's probably good. The injections I had Thursday, the day before surgery, were no fun. The needles didn't hurt, but the radioactive fluid stung and burned really bad as it was injected. Plus it was injected directly into my boob. The pain also hung around for a while after. My mom could tell how bad it hurt by the look on my face when I came out of the room. I got very lucky to be scheduled as the first surgery of the day on Friday. Not much waiting around (which I consider the worst part). I can't even remember when they gave me the anesthesia. The surgery team was great. I liked them all because they communicated so well to me (or maybe I dreamed that?). The surgery itself took an hour and a half.

It took me a while to get up. They wanted me to get up a lot sooner than I did. I didn't want to wake up. I could not stay awake for the rest of the day. Felt VERY nauseous, but I never got sick. My throat is soar from the breathing tube too. I was so lucky to have my family and Kevin with me. My mother, father, grandmother, sister, and Kevin were all there for my support. It was like a little surgery party. I wouldn't have wanted it any different.

I really, really hope that was the last surgery I have to endure. My surgeon said everything went well. He thinks he got all the cancer from the area where the lump was. He removed 2 lymph nodes and said they both were soft, which is a good sign. I'm not going to get too excited though, but after my first surgery we were told everything looked fine, and it didn't look like I had cancer. You never know. I think I will get all my results next week if I'm lucky. I'll see if there were negative margins (no cancer) on the re-excision he made, I'll see if the lymph nodes were negative or positive for cancer, and I'll see if I have the gene that make me was more likely to get breast and ovarian cancer. Crossing my fingers and getting nervous. If everything's alright, I will find a one way ticket home as soon as possible so I can start Chemo.

I just want to thank everyone again for making this as easy as it can be for me because of all of your support. It’s been great seeing some old friends from my home town and seeing how much they still all care about me. I count this as a huge hurdle I’ve gotten over as part of my entire treatment. I’m ready to move forward and get rid of this cancer with Chemo now.

Thank you for all your comments. I love hearing from everyone, and I mean everyone. I think I’m going to go back to sleep. I feel tired all the time, and I’m never hungry. Kevin is forcing me to eat though, or else he won’t give me my medicine. Need that medicine. : )

Just wanted everyone to know that I did good and I’m hanging in strong. The pain is nothing I can’t take. Love you all.

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

darker pink dots